Yesterday I found this blog entry and list of ‘50 life lessons everyone should know by the time they are 50‘ over on Addicted 2 Success which got me thinking.
I’m 28. Proud moment coming up – I think I have learnt about 3/4 of the items on the list already. Does this mean I’m home and dry? Eh, probably not. But it felt good for those few moments!
In fact different items bring up different thoughts or feelings. Here’s my key ones:
5. Pay off your credit cards every month – check! (there’s the smug).
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck. Ah this one makes me uncomfortable I know it’s true, yet I know the pathetic pension plan I’m currently following is woefully inadequate.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile. Awesome. *reaches for choc*
23. Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple. Ah. Purple is one of my favourite colours, one I wear a lot. A little concerning!
38. Read the Psalms. They cover every human emotion. This is the one item on the list I can’t see myself taking advice from.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere. I KNOW this, yet sometimes find it hard.A good reminder/kick up the butt!!
45. The best is yet to come.I distinctly remember being told as a young person that it was ‘all downhill from here,’ ‘ah your school days are the best days of your life.’ I never got it.I ALWAYS thought there was more. This one resonates with me, kinda reassuring.
Most surprising one on the list for me:
18. A writer writes. If you want to be a writer, write. I NEVER saw myself as a writer. Sure, I can put sentences together, however I’ve never considered myself a writer or even wanted to be. That’s my Sister’s domain (well one of them!). Yet what have I been doing WRITING this blog for the past few months? Taking on a WRITING challenge with NaBloMoPo? Everyday getting my message out by WRITING to other across social media? Communicating with others in my business, collegues and customers in carefully thought out WRITTEN words? Ah. Hmm. Maybe I am becoming a writer? Eeep that feels weird. How did that sneak up on me?? Am I actually any good at this? (er… maybe don’t answer that!!)
What are the key life lessons for you, either from the list or elsewhere? Please leave me a comment.